Tomb of Mirza Essa Khan Tarkhan (The younger), Thatta
The founder ruler of Tarkhan dynasty, Isa Khan I, or the elder, came to power in 1554. After ruling from Thatta for more than ten years he died in 1565, His tomb is located inside an enclosure immediately east of the living Dargah of Abdullah As’habi, right along the eastern edge of the Makli ride.
The tomb enclosure stands on a raised plinth and can be approached from east by means of five-stepped ascent set in the middle of the wall. The enclosure is rectangular in plan and within the same, western wall has a semi-octagonal mihrab in centre. Within the main enclosure there are several other enclosures having graves. A grave enclosure occupies the centre of the main enclosure built of carved stones. It also has a decorated mihrab in its western wall. Towards its south west is a highly decorated octagonal tomb pavilion, possibly to accommodate graves of the ladies.
There are several inscriptions engraved on the door entrance of the main enclosure as well as on the walls of the enclosure in the middle. These inscriptions mainly give verses from the Holy Quran, while others are in Persian. The date of the death of Isa Khan is also mentioned in an inscription. The tomb enclosure is dated back to 1572.
The smaller enclosure that occupies the middle space is approached by flight of steps from its southern side and accommodates six stone graves, the main one being that of Isa Khan himself. The cenotaphs of all the graves are in stepped shape with a box chamber at the top. The carved head stone of the grave of Isa Khan is very pronounced and is like a lamp post in the shape of a fluted turban for lighting of lamp. The walls of the enclosure of Isa Khan’s tomb are profusely engraved, divided into arched panels and latticed windows on the inner side. The panels are separated by carved vertical bands. Each panel, having carving in low relief, has a rosette at the spandrels. In the front side of the mihrab there are two pilarettes, one each on its right and left. The enclosure wall carries merlons at the top, under which are two rows of interlaced carvings while Arabic inscriptions are found engraved all along the wall.