The most outstanding monuments built at Sukkur during the Mughal period is the high minaret of Mir Masum locally known as Masum Shah jo Minaro. In fineness the monument may be compared with those at Delhi, Ahmadabad and Daulatabad. The construction of the minaret was started in 1595 A.D by Mir Muhammad Masum and later completed by his son, Mir Buzurg in 1618 A.H. he was a famous scholar, poet calligraphist historian and brave soldier.
Mir Masum was born at Sukkur-Bhakkar in 944 A.H, and assumed the poetical title of ‘Nami’ he was also the writer of the history of Sindh called after him the Tarikh-e-Masumi, which he complied in A.H.1009 (1600 A.D.). His services and qualities impressed Emperor Akbar who awarded him large jagirs in the surrounding areas of Sukkur. In 1606 A.D., he was bestowed with the title of Amin-ul-Maulk by Emperor Jahangir.
Mir Masum Minaret built of burnt bricks is about 34 m high and 28 m in circumference at the base. It provides a magnificent view of the surrounding area from its top. It is surmounted by a dome to which access has been provided through an internal stair-case.
An oblong stone slab bearing an inscription in Persian script is laid at the entrance of the minaret, which shows the date of its construction.
Close to the Mir Masum’s minaret, are few open stone canopies supported upon square, flat and octagonal stone pillars. The shafts of these canopies are covered with Persian writings in relief and other decorative tracery. There is stalactite design applied on the ceilings of the tomb. The graves of Mir Masum, his father Mir Safai and his other family members are located under these canopies. The canopies bear several inscriptions in Persian and verses from the Holy Quran. The inscription on the grave of Mir Masum shows his date of death as 1014 A.H (1605-6 A.D.).