The present town and Fort of Hyderabad were founded by the Kalhora chief Mian Ghulam Shah in A.H. 1182 (A.D. 1768), who made it his capital. In 1789 Mir Fateh Ali Khan, the then ruling Talpur Chief, abandoning khudabad near Hala, also made it his residence and constructed buildings within the Fort for his own accommodation and that of his relations. Some mosques were also built inside the fort during the period of Kalhoras and Talpurs. The building within the Fort of Mir period with which most of its area was crowded, were nearly all cleared away by the British in 1857, who for some time used the place for the accommodation of troops military stores, and as an arsenal. The crest of the fortification walls is decorated with ornamental Kanguras, or merlons, of a very curious shape. In one of the corners of the Fort, there is a memorial to be the native soldier who so very bravely faced the British attack on the Fort in (A.D. 1843). Mir’s Harm and a few odd walls in the buildings known as record office are the only other remnants of Mir’s period. Mir’s Harm as apparent from the name is a part of the ladies’ quarters. It is profusely decorated with painting though not of good taste.
Visit hours:Summer: 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Winter: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
The departmental representative at the site: Ms. Sindhu Chandio +92 336 8957030