The site is located approximately thirteen kilometers from Pir Ghazi Shah and twenty-four kilometers south of Johi town. The site is 336 meters long, 305 meters wide, 8.23 meters high and covers an area of 102,480 square meters. It is stuated on a rock bed which slightly elevates the site above the surrounding plain. The rock bed on which the site is located is a lower extension of a north-south rock outcron which lies to the east of the site. The iste is located approximately eighteen kilometers east of the Kirthar Mountains, at the eastern edge of a large playa, at which flood channels of the shol, nari, haiell, and angai nais of the Kirthar Mountains coverge.
Ali Murad is allow mound with no architectural features exposed on the surface of the site. The walls of the site were composed of stone foundations with pise or mud brick superstructures. The rock outcrop nearby the site probably provided the excellent foundation material, and the clay of the playa probably provided the material for the upper-wall construction.
The site is located approximately six kilometers sout-southeast of Tando Rehim Khan, and two kilometers east of Pir Ghazi Shah mazar. The site is 160 N-S long, 130 mters E-W widw, 11 meters high and covers and an area of 20,800 square meters.
A perennial spring which issues in the Bhit Range runs close to the site. A wide expanse of alluvial plain extends from the foothills of the Bhit Range east eastward to the rock outcrons which lie just west of manchar Lake, the site is a single mound.
The sequence revealed by excavations is similar to that of the site of Amri: an early Amri occupation, levels with a mixing of Amrian and Harappan material, and a purely Harappan level (s). In addition to the pottery. Bull figurines, miniature cart frames, terracotta steatite carnelian, agate, and copper beads, a copper ring, terracotta and copper hangles, copper objects, a leafshaped arrowhead with tang of copper, copper awl and chisel, chert flake tools, and a silver ring fragment were other objects.
The large brick masonry structure, built by Samma ruler Jam Tamachi, as homage to the Sufi saint, is the first mosque built at the Makli necropolis, with soaring brick lancer arches and massive walls. The masonry walls are in a highly degraded state, propped by RSJ girders. The collapse of the roof has exposed it to vagaries of weather.
Area: 0.068 acre
The brick structure lies to the north of Jam Nizam’s Tomb. Presently a portion of Mehrab is left whereas all sides of structure have been disappeared. The floor is covered with Persian blue kashi tiles. It is perhaps the tomb of Sh. Hamad Jamali. It is one of the earliest brick structures erected sometime after the Jamia Masjid. Likely to have employed true arch and dome construction, similar to later-period square chamber tombs in the cluster. The structure has entirely collapsed with only limited surviving portions.
Area: 0.16 acre
It is a brick enclosures without any significant decoration having the graves of unidentified persons.
To the east of Tomb of Diwan Shurfa Khan lies on the edge of the dead river the last resting place of Amir Sultan Muhammad son of Amir Hajika the mughal. The main shrine contains four graves within and enclosure which stands in the centre of a court-yard, the outer walls of which have been reduced to the height of the plinth of the court. The first grave from the left in the main shrine bears the date Rabi I: 966 A.H (January 1559 A.D) engraved on the tomb stone; the third grave belongs to a lady Shahri Benu and bears the date, the month of Ramazan in the year 952 A.H (December 1545 A.D) and the fourth grave has inscribed on its and elegiac expression but evidently no date.
Close to the west but outside the main shrine stands 8 small and unpretentious, enclosure which contains the solitary grave of Amir Sultan Muhammad, with the date of his demise. The translation of the Arabic inscription carved on the tomb-stone runs as follows:-
The deceased Amir Sultan Muhammad, son of Amir Hajika, the mughal, died on Thursday in the year nine hundred and sixty three 963. A.H (1556 A.D).
No account or identity of Amir Sultan Muhammad could be traced from the chronicles of Sindh.
The mosque is said to have been built by Nawab Amir Khan a reputable Governor of Thatta during Shah Jehna’s period. It is a massive square brick structure surmounted by a dome in Persian style, at one time covered with white and light glazed tiles some of which can still be seen. This square structure single room measures 23’-3” one way on its exterior. The only door way exists in the centre of with unglazed cut and rubbed red bricks alternating with light blue filling in the joints providing a conspicuous note of colour. The mosque on its interior containing the most elaborate display of glazed tile work. Stylish floral patterns decorate the spandrels. Elsewhere decorative geometriacal designs on square tiles are displayed in a series of panels.
Area: 0.3 aces
Situated in the out-skirt of the city of Thatta this old brick mosque is also known as Amir Khusro Khan’s mosque after the name of its builder. Amir Khusro Khan Charkas was a descendant of Changez Khan and taken captive by Mirza Isa in his infancy. Subsequently he rose to eminence and became Incharge of Thatta.
He built many a buildings including mosque, tombs wells, bridges etc., etc., Dabgir mosque was also built by Amir Khusro in 1688 A.D.
The mosque measures 98 feetx48 feet and has three bays surmounted by one large and 2 small dome. It still contains some very fine colored tile work; and the Mehrab which is of stone covered with the most delicate tracery is a superb piece of work. Like many of the older buildings in Sindh, this one has suffered very much from the Kallar or salt in the soil, which when damp, rises through the porous brick work and crystallizing disintegrated the brick work as far up as it reaches.
The Tomb of Sultan Ibrahim (D.1558), son of Isa Khan Tarkhan the elder, is a solid octagonal brick structure with a rather pointed dome set upon a high drum. This is an impressive octagonal funerary Mughal tour de force, built as a tomb of the Tarkhan ruler, is forerunner of its genre. The dome on a circular drum, rises above well-crafted cusped arch squinches. All surfaces once embellished with glazed tiles.
Area: 0.033 acres
The Tomb of Habshad Bai and her daughter is situated south of tomb of Amir Sultan Muhammad and Mirza Baqi Tarkhan on the high bank of the dried under a stone canopy standing on eight stone pillar. It is a comparatively small structure, the octagonal pavilion tomb appears a transitional structure, combining newly-styled Tarkhan columns with elongated square bases with a 4-bracket capitals with extended pieces to provide support ti lintols.
The tomb of Diwan Shurfa Khan is the best preserved and one of the most colourful building of Makli. It is a massive square structure surmounted by a dome in Persian style, at one time covered with light blue tiles. It has four round towers at the corners, each having a staircase leading to the roof. The walls are made of unglazed red bricks alternating with light-blue filling the joints, providing a conspicuous note of colour. This colour scheme, simple yet attractive, also carried to the inside, where bands of tiles have been set near the springing line of the dome. The interior of the dome is decorated with a radiating design of glazed bricks set in chevron pattern.
Dewan Shurfa Khan was a Minister of the Mughal Governor of Sindh, Nawab Amir Khan, during the reign of Shahjehan. The mausoleum and the mosque on the west were erected respectively in the year 1639 A.D and 1642 A.D.
Area: 0.47 acre
The mausoleum of Mirza Jani Baig Tarkhan who had to submit to the invincible army of the great Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1591, presents a picturesque and colourful sight. The brick masonry, in alternate courses of glazed dark-blue and unglazed red bricks, represents a high standard of Sindhi craftsmanship. The mausoleum stands on a terraced platform of Sandstone, in the centre of a courtyard which has an exquisitely carved mihrab in the western side. The main building is octagonal in plan, with half-domed recesses on four sides and arched door-frames richly carved in geometric tracery. Above the doorways are beautiful panels containing Arabic inscriptions, delicately written in white enamel on dark-blue tiles. The interior of the building is splendidly covered with covered with wall tiles, the finest in Sindh.
Area: 0.768 acre
On the north of Mirza Baqi Baig’s tomb is situated the mausoleum of Isa Khan II’s Governor of Thatta under the Mughal emperor Shah Jehan between 1627 and 1644 A.D. He was the cousin of Mirza Ghazi and grand-son of Isa Khan – I the independent ruler of the lower Sindh. He died in 1644 A.D at the ripe age of 90 and buried in this mausoleum said to have been erected by him during his life time.
The mausoleum is a magnificent two storeyed building erected in the centre of a square courtyard enclosed by high stone walls. The central chamber containing the graves is crowned with a dome while the four sides have spacious varandahs supported by stone pillars, exquisitely carved with filigree design sand topped by honey-combed capitals. The entire mausoleum and its apartments are constructed in yellow and stone and both the inner and outer surfaces are carved with delicate tracery.
In the centre of the western enclosure wall is the Mehrab decorated with floral and geometric designs. At the north-east corner of the courtyard stands small enclosure which contains three graves on a raised platform. These are the graves of Isa Khan’s other female relations. The Persian inscriptions carved on the cenotaphs of the two graves give the date 6th Zil Hajj 1082 A.H (May 1672 A.D) and 15th Rajab 1080 A.H (January 1670 A.D) respectively.