Area : 21A – 39 G.H

 It is an extensive site lying at Bhiro in District Tharparkar. The site is littered with small number of potsherds. The period of the mound goes back pre-historic times.

Read More

Area : 0.3 Acres 

Architectural features of temple No.IV are similar as that of temple No.01

 

Read More

Area : 0.2 Acres 

Close to the foot of rocky hills there are the remains of three ancient Jain structures supposed to have been built in A.D 1375 and 1449. The largest of this group of temple which is referred as Temple II, stands on a platform about 3’ high and is 39’ wide on the front side which is on the north. It has the main entrance door in the centre and on either side of its two niches on exterior as well as interior. This door is ordinary (Kanjur) stone and has a jina in a small niche carved over lintal. There were some carved idols on its sides which have decayed and are unrecognisable now. The side niches are of red sand stone with carved DASA, side shafts and head piece and project out of the surface of the walls. Opposite to this door there is another door on the southern side which open in the back courtyard. This temple is a centrally planned structure with have in the centre and a square aisle around it after which there are two rows of 5 cells each on east and west sides. There are no cells on the north and south but only walls which are similar to each other and have as mentioned earlier a door in the centre and two niches of sides.
The nave is colonnaded with 4 columns on each side and roofed with a corbelled low dome of the shape of an inverted bowl supported on octagonal base of beams resting on eight columns. The floor space under it is square and below the level of the floor of the surrounding aisle and has three steps descending to it from all the four sides. However the huge stones which used to form the floor are now lying in a heap in a shallow pit in centre.
After the aisle there are 5 cell as on each side and opposite to them 5 no the west. In between the doors of these cell as there are pilaster or shafts corresponding to the pillars of the nave. On sides of both the central cell as which are comparatively smaller than side ones there are carved idols on pedestals typical of the Jaina temples.
On the outside there is a double cornice running on the east west and northsides except the central portion of the front wall and entire south wall which have been repaired in the past. The incomplete wall on the east measures 40.5’ where as the west wall measures 31.5’ which indicates that there was back enclosure on the south side probably with a central cell or inner temple for housing the main idol but has disappeared in course of time.
On the roof there is a central dome of the nave and around it 16 domes of the aisles and 10 more domes of the tow rows of the cells which makes in all 27 domes. From inside some of these small domes are corbelled in circular fashion and some in diagonal patterns From outside the entire roof including the domes have been plastered with white lime, in thick layers. Along the eastern side of this temple there was an enclosed portion attached as shown by the low compound wall of rubble stones.
All stone used in the temple in Kanjur stone and red sandstone which are not local. However, the stone used in the platform and the attached compound wall is local sand stone or granite of red tint =.

 

Read More

Area : 0.2 Acres 

About half a furlong from the bigger temple stands this smaller one which is 27.5 feet wide at the front on the eastern side and 25.5 feet along the side walls on north and south. It stands within a three feet height compound wall of rubble masonry in local granite stones and has an entrance from east. The temple itself consist of a single corridor like long cell and an open courtyard enclosed only by 2 side walls on the north and south.
The two haunches on the north west and south west corners suggest that this was supposed to be the usual octagonal hall, which comes in front of the main chamber in Jain temple.
In the side walls of the courtyard are tow niches carved red sand stone projecting out from the surface of the wall. The main chamber which appears from outside to have three cells is actually only one long room with 3 compartments and is roofed with 3 corbelled low domes of which the central one has artificially been raised from the top very steeply. In this chamber there is a platform running longitudinally along the western wall for keeping idols. This chamber has thee entrances opening in the courtyard which the central one has red sandstone pilasters and carry images on sides and on top of the lintel. One of the central red sandstone beams on the inside has cracked and is supported on a stone column probably put there in near ____.

 

Read More

Area : 81 s.ft (9x9)

The small town of Umerkot, which lies at the edge of the sand hills forming the desolate desert of eastern Sind prominently figures in the annals of history for being the birth place of the Great Mughal Shahiinsha Jalaluddin Akbar.
At the birth place of Akbar small ordinary pavilion was built in 1898 A.D. by a local Zamindar named Syed Mehar Shah. A stone slab is laid on the eastern façade of the pavilion which runs as follows:-
This monument is erected in honour of Emperor Akbar the great born here in 1542 A.D, reigned 49 years from 1556 to 1605 by Sayed Mehar Shah of Khejrari Taluka Umerkot. The memorial is a modern brick built small domed pavilion, situated on a small piece of land about 50’x50’. It actually is a shabby looking structure which is not in any way representing the great event of Akbar’s Birth.

Read More

Area : 22A – 23 G.H

 The mound known as Shadiphali is lying close to Deh, Khuda Bux in District Tharparkar. Potsherds found lying on the area of the site. After the archaeological excavation its different periods of occupation would be revealed. Any how the mound is of pre historic period.

Read More

It is small square tomb measuring only 8’-6’’. The tomb which contains two graves has fallen. There is no inscription to indicate the names of its occupants. The northern ends of tomb stone are engraved with Kalima.

Read More

It is a small square shaped tomb, which does not bear any inscription. The tomb is not in a well state of preservation.

Read More

 The architectural features and other details of the tombs are more or less similar as those described from serial no. 308 to 312.

Read More
Top
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…