Ranikot Fort is a historical fort and protected site under Antiquity act of 1975, is situated near Sann, District Jamshoro, Sindh. Ranikot Fort is also known as The Great Wall of Sindh and is believed to be the world's largest fort with a circumference of approximately 32 kilometers. The fort's ramparts have been compared to the Great Wall of China.
This Fort is 90 kilometers to the north of Hyderabad on the Indus highway. A diversion road, starting a little distance away from Sann, the nearest town, leads to the fort along a rugged 30 kilometers road and reaches the eastern gate of the fort, known as Sann Gate.The original purpose and architects of Ranikot Fort is unknown. It was formerly believe that the fort was built during the regimes of the Sassanians, the Scythians, the Parthians or the Bactrian Greeks, however, more recent evidence shows that the fort originated under the Talpurs.
Archaeologists point to the 17th century as the time of its first construction but Sindh archaeologists now agree that some of the present structures were reconstructed by Talpurs in 1812 at a cost of 1.2 million rupees (Sindh Gazetteer, 677).The battlements of Ranikot formed the last capital of the Amirs of Sind, when they were brought under the colonial rule of the British Empire. Radiocarbon tests were conducted at the Sann Gate on the charcoal embedded in the mortar of a collapsed pillar of the eastern gate of the fort. These tests have confirmed that, this gate was probably renovated between the early part of the 18th century and the early part of the 19th century, prior to Britain invading the fort when the Kalhoras, or most likely the Talpur Mirs of Sindh ruled over the area.